Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Barbecue Beans And Blueberry Beer

This is kind of a weird title, so bear with me.  I had dinner with a friend tonight.  We had, among other things, barbecue wings and blueberry beer.  I said it out loud and reminisced about the tastiness (they were seriously scrumptious).  Then I decided that I liked how many B's were in it.  I decided that I needed more, so I replaced wings with beans, which are also a commonly barbecued foodstuff.  And now we're at the title.

So, what's the point of this title?  Well, there really isn't much of one.  I said the phrase, and started writing the post.  That really is the point, though: making sense of the senseless.

I could write a simple story about barbecue beans and blueberry beer - a quaint little slice of life about two friends having a quirky evening after going some time without seeing each other.  I could turn it into a song about some awesome party where that's what everybody was consuming.  I could write a poem about a psychedelic experience where everything was topsy turvy and nothing tasted like what it should be.

This phrase is an inspiration, or at least a stimulus to respond to.  Something so strange and out of the ordinary demands a response.  And something so strange and out of the ordinary with no context whatsoever needs to be figured out before it can be responded to. But since there is no actual answer, all responses are equally valid.

I am giving you barbecue beans and blueberry beer.  Now give me some writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment