Thursday, March 10, 2011

Periodically Crashing

Yesterday, I went to work, came home, puttered around for a couple hours, then crawled into bed for a nap.  I slept from 6 PM to 3 AM, woke up, had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, then went back to bed until 10 AM.  Suffice it to say that I did nothing yesterday, including getting my post done (which is why I'm doing a double tonight).

This is something that doesn't happen terribly often, but does happen periodically.  I cut corners.  I go to bed late and wake up early.  I may get six hours sleep instead of 8 (or sometimes 4).  I sleep in on days I get free which helps me recover.  Still though, I don't recover enough and it adds up.  Every now and then, I have to forfeit a day to sleep.

I would love to have a simple, peaceful day every day.  I would love to get writing done, get chores done, and solve the world's problems, all in time to catch an amusing TV show and go to bed.  But I don't get to do that.  I manage what I can with the hours I have, and if I don't have enough hours, I reallocate the ones I had dedicated elsewhere.

For the amount that I do get done, it is usually worth the sleep I forgo.  However, since things always have to balance, I know that a day of crashing is guaranteed in the unforeseen future.  It is simply the way I choose to use my time.  If you would prefer to have a regular schedule every day, that's great; go and make it happen.  If you can't do that, or simply don't want to, then know that there is an alternative, and to lose a day in order to gain a few extra hours from all of your other days may be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment