Saturday, March 26, 2011

Don't Stop Trying

I realized today that I stopped trying.  I haven't honestly been trying for about 9 months.  I haven't written any stories to completion.  I haven't submitted any writing wholeheartedly.  I haven't been searching for sweet, awesome jobs in my field.  I've been in a rut and spending all my free time on short-term distractions.  I haven't done anything of consequence.

Arguably, everything done is something of consequence.  I have gained experience in life.  I have gained life experiences.  I now know the part of life that I want nothing to do with because I have slept with it.

That said, I could have been perfectly happy not knowing so intimately what it is like to not do anything productive.  If the last 9 months were spent focusing on my projects, or even just one project, and putting in those free hours every day into creating and revising and editing and honing and polishing, I would be far better off.

This may be a lesson you have to learn first-hand.  Maybe all lessons need to be learned first-hand.  But, if nothing else, consider the advice to not stop trying.

I have repeated my teacher's advice: You are only a writer on days you write.  It is true.  But it is also never enough.  I have kept Cheff Salad active throughout this whole span, and it does keep me as a writer, but it's not enough.  You have to do more than write; you have to try.

No matter what you are doing, you have to actually try.

No comments:

Post a Comment