Saturday, January 4, 2014

Resoultions Don't Need The New Year

When the new year rolls around, everybody wants to talk about resolutions. What are you going to do different this year? How are you going to make things better? My question is: why do you wait until the calendar rolls over to change your life?

I understand that it is a convenient impetus, but if you want to make a serious change, then just do it as soon as you have that thought. Instead of spending the month of August saying "I wish I would make the time to write more", simply say, "I resolve to make the time to write more." Then, you don't have to wait five months to actually start doing it.

I think that the key word I said above was "serious". New Year's resolutions always seem semi-serious to me. They're more like a dare. "Hey, I dare you to talk to a stranger every day." Either that, or maybe they come off as people trying to set a record. Most consecutive days not screaming at traffic. They always sound to me like people take their resolutions half seriously. They do it for the same reason they make a wish before blowing out their birthday candles.

If you're going to go to the effort of making a resolution, make a sincere one. Honestly work toward making a real and permanent change. They are hard, but the key to success is developing a habit. When it stops being an extra effort and simply becomes a part of your day like getting dressed and bathing, then it has truly succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment