Sunday, September 22, 2013

Creativity Is A State Of Mind

I've often heard writers and other artists talk about how it is always feast or famine when it comes to creativity. I've noticed the same thing myself. I can go weeks and weeks without ideas, and once they finally start coming to me again, I get a flood of great ideas all at once. In the past, I've simply accepted it as a curious phenomenon, but now i get it.

It makes sense that creativity is feast or famine. Creativity, or more accurately, being receptive to creativity, is a mental state. When your mind is open to it, you see all the myriad ideas out there. 

And the very nature of creativity is seeing things as being connected and related, so it makes perfect sense that when you get into that place, many great ideas come.

I don't think there is a way to manipulate yourself into this state, but there are things you can do to help. First of all, don't panic. Accept that not having ideas is as natural as having lots of ideas; you aren't broken if you can't think of something good on demand.Second, pay attention to what stimulates your mind. For example, I always get great ideas when I go to live concerts. Something about sitting still and listening to music (and that I can't distract myself with technology) kicks my brain into creative mode. So learn about yourself and what triggers your thoughts. Anything that puts you into a creative state of mind makes the rest of the process much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment