Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Look Backward And Forward

Today, I managed to take a step back and realize that my life is pretty damn amazing right now. Like, I had the thought that if I talked to myself from any number of years ago about everything that happened today, I would struggle to believe it was true.

The reason this was such a strong realization for me is that during most of today, I was thinking about how much further I still have to go.  I'm not at the top of the mountain. Some days I feel like I have barely begun to even climb it. But in reality, I've made significant progress. Just because there is a lot left to go does not mean that I haven't already come a long way.

And that really illuminates the life lesson that is often ignored: The journey of one's life is not a short one. We go through so many stages, rise through so many levels. Even after we have grown and developed and may feel like full adults, we will go through so many more changes beyond it.  It is very difficult to comprehend this concept, which is why we need to look backward and forward.

It is easy to lose yourself in how much more you have left to go. Don't let that diminish how far you have already come.

No comments:

Post a Comment