Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pay Your Dues And Grab Your Own Victory

I just got a job offer to do grant writing for the Allentown Symphony Association. This job was achieved 100% on my own merits. My resume, writing samples, and interview got me this job.

I say this not to brag, but to inspire. I sort of fell into my job working in the non-profit sector doing administrative work after graduation. It was not at all what I expected to be doing with my degree, and I kinda hated it for a while, sticking around mostly out of desperation. But since I was there, I made the most of what I could. I paid attention when my boss talked about grant writing, I listened and practiced. I learned from old ones in the file cabinet. I was able to do that work under supervision, and because of it managed to develop an incredibly wonderful skill.

Because of being there so long, I now have the coveted 3-5 years experience. I'm trained in a highly desirable skill. I basically paid my dues, and am now working my way up. On top of the job offer, I am also setting up some freelance grant writing/corporate sponsorship gigs as well.

My point here is to always be paying attention. Always let yourself learn. Always try to push yourself into new  and valuable positions. And never be afraid or ashamed to market yourself. Great things can happen when you set yourself up for victory.

1 comment: