Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Do Old Things In New Ways

I shaved in the shower today. It may not seem like a big deal, and in reality, it largely wasn't. But consider this: I normally shave over the sink. I've shaved over the sink since high school. I used to have in the shower back in high school, but that was pre-beard and pre-balding. That was also a decade ago. 

I have been thinking about trying a shave in the shower recently, and at last, I did it tonight. It was a little strange; many minor things I never think about had changed, like not having a mirror and not using the faucet to rinse the razor. Still, it was an interesting experience and I don't regret it. 

I realize, when thinking about it, that I do the same with writing. I need variety. I need to write in changing locations at changing hours and durations. It prevents mental stagnation. 

Some people do best with a rigid regiment. I do best when I do common things in new ways. As always, try both sides out and pick what works best. It's an individual thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment