Tuesday, July 23, 2013

On Cycles

I really enjoy stories that are cyclical in nature. I like it when a society works in such a way that the next generation has the same life as the current generation. I like it when time travelers end up creating the situation that they traveled through time to deal with. I like it when the good guy defeats the bad guy, then slowly gets corrupted, becomes the new bad guy, and eventually gets defeated by the new good guy.

I love cycles because I find them beautiful. I think the most awe-inspiring device imaginable is one whose end creates its beginning, or at least one whose end creates the next beginning. Aside from being a sign of exquisite craftsmanship, I also love that cycles tend to be perpetual. The sustainable aspect of repeating circumstances creates this sense of infinity, which makes me feel zen.

My stories almost always involve cycles of some sort. They are so interesting to me (not to mention exciting and enjoyable) that I constantly wish to explore them.

I invite you to explore cycles yourself. They can exist in many different shapes and sizes, all of which add a different flavor to your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment