Thursday, January 3, 2013

Your Actions Affect Your Mindset

I have followed cars down the road for several reasons in my life. I've followed a car because I didn't know how to get somewhere and the other car did. I've followed a car because we were both heading to a place that we both knew how to get to. I've followed a car because it was damaged and I needed to be there in case it broke down.

Every one of those circumstances involves the same basic premise - me following a car in my car - but each action is different enough that it completely changes my mindset while driving. When I don't know how to get to my destination, my mind is focused on the tail lights of the leader; I do everything in my power to make sure nothing comes between me and the other car, but that I stay at a safe distance in case of emergency.

When the other driver and I both know how to get to the destination, I kind of cruise. I don't mind if another car cuts in between us. I don't care if we're not in the same lane. I don't even care if we get side-by-side or if I pull ahead. I keep my eyes on the other car, but it is an afterthought more than my primary concern.

When I'm following the injured car, the destination it is similar to when I don't know the final destination, but a little different. Here, I am definitely keeping a safe distance because the chance of something going wrong is significantly higher. I also am making sure that if it does break down, I will not be flying by it on the road, either - maintaining a matching speed and distance is the key there.

No matter what a person is doing, it is affecting their thoughts. Everything they are thinking about, paying attention to, even the things they are letting themselves ignore, all get changed based on what specifically they are trying to do.

When you are examining a character and describing their thought processes, try to get into that level of detail. Sure, you can say that a character was following a car and keeping track of it, but you can go deeper. Even with the same number of words you use, you can say more specific things that express their mindset as they do the action.

1 comment: