Friday, January 4, 2013

Introductory Stories Aren't Necessary

I am so bored of essays that all use the same format. The author is wistfully watching a scene or recounting a personal experience, and their mind wanders, probing at some concept or philosophy. The essay suddenly becomes completely abstract, having my nothing whatsoever to do with the opening story, and reveals itself solely to be about the concept being explored. Once the author makes their point, they return to the intro story and conclude by viewing that scene or experience in the new light they just shed.

Now don't get me wrong here. That is a great format. It's completely legitimate and generally effective. The problem I have is not the technique, but its extreme overuse. It is so commonplace that any effect on me is diluted to the point of worthlessness.

I can't stress enough that introductory stories aren't necessary. They may be the course of events that caused you to think about the subject at hand, but that doesn't make it the most effective rhetorical device. In fact, I feel that I would rather have the point of the essay be made right away and then use the story as an example.

If nothing else, if you are going to write a lot, vary your style. And if you are going to write a little, try something that you haven't seen too often (or at all).

No comments:

Post a Comment