Sunday, January 6, 2013

Leave History To The Future

Sometimes I feel like we are living in a golden age. Technology marches forward, easing the burden of human life for so many. The ability to create and distribute is more freely available. We live in a global community, which not very long ago, seemed ridiculous and impossible.

And sometimes I feel like we live in a dark age. People have power that they cannot control, and the ease of life that technology brings also creates unemployment, overpopulation, and health problems. We also have much intolerance, and government's trying to enforce and justify their prejudices.

So, do we live in a golden age or a dark age? I don't know. Frankly, it's impossible to know. I constantly hear it said that people do not realize that they are in a golden age until it has ended. And I have heard it said that dark ages are never really that dark, since the sun still rises every day. In fact, I have even heard the argument made that the golden age of the Renaissance wasn't even a golden age at all.

When I look at the world around me, I find categories to be truly worthless. Whether our age is golden or dark, or something in between, the facts remain the facts. Your attitude and outlook might change, but aside from that, nothing changes. The only people who could determine what age we are in will be members of the future - people who never existed right now and can only explain this time right now relative to the times that came before and after it (the latter half we in the present have no idea about).

We must leave history to the future. Right now is the present. Make use of that time and pay no mind to what future historians might say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment