Friday, January 18, 2013

Beards And Laziness

There is a saying amongst the internet: Beards turn laziness into awesomeness. As a beard owner, I certainly appreciate a sentiment that considers my choice awesome, though I started to think about the concept of laziness and how accurate it is.

Why is it that I can sit around, do nothing, and grow a sweet beard, but I can't sit around doing nothing and grow a novel?Why does laziness only reward me with facial hair growth?

Then I realized, beards are not the product of laziness; they are a product of constant metabolism. My body is burning fuel for energy every minute of every day, and one of the things it produces is facial hair. And with that realization, I found a proper analogy for writing.

Writing is like growing a beard. You have to spend energy constantly, and over a long period of time, to produce something truly awesome. Maybe not every minute of every day, but daily writing of some length is a good help.

Also like a beard, you have to properly maintain it to be awesome. An unkempt beard is ratty and smelly. A stack of unrevised writing also stinks. You can continuously grow your body of work, but pare it down from time to time. Throw out the stuff that's no good and revise the rest into a completed, polished product. That's what's really awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment