Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Good Movie For Its Run Time

I encountered this phrase today and was awestruck by it. Of course, the speaker said it so factually that it was even more incredible. I never considered such a way of looking at a story. It's like saying, "It's no masterpiece, but it wasn't very long."

Of course, this is hardly a glowing review, but in a certain light, it can still be positive. You don't have to invest much into the story, but you still get a good return on your investment. It may not have changed your life, but it successfully entertained you.

I sometimes wonder if that is the reason I am always drawn to the short story. Part of it is the challenge of conciseness. But I think I also like the low risk of the low page count. It's like, if you read a terrible novel, you lost hours and hours of your time, but if you read a terrible short story, you lost like 20 minutes. No big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment