Thursday, July 12, 2012

Surpassing Your Teachers

Following on my previous post, I sometimes really hate that I have to unlearn bad lessons I was taught by my teachers because it means I was taught wrong. But sometimes I'm happy because it means I know even better than my teachers did.

Our teachers look to us like demigods. Their knowledge and experience is beyond comprehension by the time we meet them. Over a period of time, they impart a great deal of the knowledge to us and give us the experience of training. No matter what, though, we always see them as our superiors.

But they are human. They are fallible. Sometimes they make mistakes. Sometimes they are repeating bad information that their teachers imparted.

If you have been taught well, you will one day discover the things your teachers taught you that were wrong. It will be a strange experience, knowing that you have surpassed your teacher (at least in this regard), but it is an important step in moving away from being a student and moving into being a professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment