Monday, July 2, 2012

Don't Stifle The Pursuit Of Knowledge

I never want to be the person responsible for making a child stop caring about learning. Children are he most amazing sponges of information I have ever come across. All they do is observe and absorb. Listen to a small child talk. All they say is facts. They recite what they have learned with the an excitement like they discovered the secrets of the universe.

You know when they stop caring about learning? When other people tell them to. When parents get frustrated from a barrage of questions or statements and they tell their children to just stop. When they don't know an answer to a question and would rather tell their kids that a question is stupid rather than admit that they don't know the answer. It's when their peers mock them for knowing things that they don't or simply because they're assholes.

It happens to most of us, probably to all of us. It is awful when the most exciting thing to you is having learned something and wanting to share it with others, and being turned away or put down.

I swear that I will never stifle a child's desire to learn, to teach, or to appreciate knowing things. But there is no reason to limit it to children. I swear I will never do that to anyone.

If I ever betray that oath, then everything I have said for the last three years, and for every day until that happens, is a lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment