Saturday, July 7, 2012

Scratch That Section

So there I was, writing my story, working through the struggles, and finally hitting a brick wall. I had no idea how to proceed and was grasping at straws for thoughts. Finally, I came to the realization: the whole scene is based off of a lousy idea. I can't rewrite the scene to fix this; I had to scratch that whole section.

I felt pretty miserable about it. I felt like I wasted the effort, but then I got over myself and remembered that I needed to go through this bad idea to find a better one. I didn't like cutting off a whole section of work I'd done, but it's way better than trying to incorporate a bad idea into my story because of laziness.

There is a balance needed to cut out a section of your story.  On the one hand, you need to know that an action that severe is needed. On the other hand, you need to remember that it is just one section of a whole work, and that the rest of it is fine.

2 comments:

  1. Hey!

    Reading your entries really helps me as a blogger. The structure of your sentences are perfect! Keep doing what you're doing :)

    Nielson
    thetrainwreckdiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for saying that! I know that people read my blog, but when somebody reaches out to say something nice, it is always heartwarming and I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete