Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Anticlimax

I believe that many experiences in life are underwhelming. The shock is how not shocking it all is. I believe there is a way to express that in writing, and it is the hardest endeavor to take on.

I have tried so long to express anticlimax in my stories, but it always comes across as anticlimactic. I know there are ways to make disappointment work; that's all about creating strong hopes and great expectations, and dashing them at the worst possible time. And I know that one can also create a sense of loss even when the "loss" was simply not gaining what the character expected; that's all about exploring the depression the character feels from not becoming what they expected to become.

Still though, I always want to capture life. And life usually isn't that crushing. Very few people sink into depression because they didn't become astronauts. As they grew up, their goals and deals changed gradually. And that gradual change, along with people's incredible ability to accept and grow accustomed to their surroundings is what makes life underwhelming.

The question I have then, is if anticlimactic stories are compelling. And if the answer is that they can be, but only if you tell the story in a particular way, then the question is if the story itself is compelling or if it is the storytelling technique.

If there comes a day that I do get the answers, I shall revisit the subject.  If you have some answers of your own, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment