Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Actively Strengthen Your Core

I wanted to write a post about how happy I am that my job teaches me how to be a better writer. Because I have to be very careful with my words, and I learn how to say just the right things to keep my message balanced and clear. And that is training my skills in communication itself.

Unfortunately, that idea is kind of bunk. You do what you train to do, which means that my job trains me to be better at doing the writing I do at my job.

However, I am a better communicator, and I see it in my verbal and written communication outside of work. The reason for it is that I am actively learning. Every time I learn a new skill or technique in my job writing, I am pulling out the principle that makes it work. I am understanding how it relates to writing in general and communication as a whole. It is my specific effort that makes me a better writer. (I know this, too, because I spent more time than I care to admit thinking I was just fine and not growing at all as a writer or communicator.)

Exposure is a wonderful thing. Being surrounded by good writing and good writers is a way to have a great experience and just be a sponge for information. But it only takes you so far. Eventually, you need to take part in your own growth. There are lessons to learn everywhere, even at a buffet. But if you do not actively strengthen your core, then your writing will be limited to the training you happen to absorb.

No comments:

Post a Comment