Sunday, July 29, 2012

On Passion

I find 'passion' to be an interesting word and concept. People talk about relationships as passionate, or feeling passion for a lover, but their words ring hollow to me. I don't know what they mean by 'passion', and I wonder if they really understand it.

As I approach any subject, I have to start with a definition. So I look at the things people describe as passionate, the things they say they are passionate about (other than a relationship or lover), and then I ask myself what I would say I'm passionate about.

People can be passionate about subjects from the sciences to sports, and with specificity as broad as "history" and as narrow as "16th century Japanese blades". Passion means knowing as much as they can about the subject, seeking to learn more if possible, talking about it, and sometimes centering their life around it.

I would call myself passionate about words and language, and about storytelling. I want to say that I have a passion for social sciences, human behavior, and philosophy or psychology, but I don't think it is passion; I think it is just a strong interest in them.

Passion is a kind of dedication. People who are passionate about something dedicate themselves to it - their time, their energy, their lives. Passion is more than just a regular dedication, though; it's a joyful dedication. We are passionate about things that make us happy. We don't just talk about our passions, we feel energized by talking about them. We smile and perk up and become exuberant. That which we are passionate about completes us as people.

This is my definition. It fits the way I use the word and mostly it fits how I observe other people using the word. With this definition, I can better understand how people describe a relationship as passionate. I can see passion being a truly powerful force, and not something to throw around lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment