Saturday, February 4, 2012

Do It Because You Care

I heard a story about a dentist. There was a family who would go to him, two parents and a few children. The family didn't have much money, but they paid what they could afford. The dentist didn't mind it though. The parents were teaching their kids about dental hygiene and the children brushed regularly and always came in for check-ups. When a person would never set foot in the dentist's office unless there was a serious problem, that's when he would have no sympathy or remorse.

That is a rare, but impressive dentist. He was not doing his job because he was trying to accumulate as much wealth as possible. He was doing it because he cared about good dental health. He was willing to take a loss to serve a family who took care of their teeth.

Sometimes I think I'm a lousy businessman because I love my field too much. Writing is awesome. Editing is a fun challenge. It's the kind of thing I do because I like doing it. That's what makes me absolutely amazing at my job, but it's also why I have to be conscious of when to do it for free.

Part of why I can write a new post every day here is that I love writing. I will talk with anybody about any aspect of writing any time that I am free. And if you're persistent, I'll make the time to do it. I always encourage people to write because I think it is amazing. And I will help people with their writing because I care about good stories being told so much that I will do what I can to foster their creation.

I write because I care about it. Sure, I would love to make it my career. I would love to dedicate my life to as many aspects of writing, creating, and communicating as possible. But I don't want it for the fame or fortune. I want to do it because I want to spread the joy of those things to as many people as possible. The fame and fortune are just an awesome bonus.)

1 comment:

  1. It is always a pleasure to meet or read about those who are passionate about doing what they love.

    ReplyDelete