Friday, August 26, 2011

Should It Go Without Saying?

I was going through my folders, digging though my dozen documents of story idea blurbs, and dozens more expanded story ideas. In one of the documents, I read a single line: "I think that goes without saying. Still, I should probably say it."

It might have been ripped from an actual conversation. It may have been some dialogue I randomly came up with and wrote down. I have no clue anymore, since it probably predates this blog (and I have trouble remembering whether I did something on Wednesday or Thursday by the time Thursday night comes along).

That's not the point, though. The point is the words themselves. Some things do go without saying. The sun will rise tomorrow, then set. People will be born. People will die. There will be suffering, and it will be interrupted with joy. (I am aware that any of these so-called facts can be challenged by a writer. They don't really need to be said, because everybody knows them to be true - they do not reveal new information.

Originally, I titled this post, "Does It Go Without Saying?" But, thinking about it, I realized that's not the question. The more important issue is, should it go without saying? Just because something doesn't add new information does not mean that it doesn't add flavor or color to a story. Sometimes known information needs to be said to show that it is known, but it is still important.

It is your discretion whether something should go without saying. There is subtlety and nuance in giving information, implying information, and letting the audience make up their own. There is no right or wrong answer, only what you feel is right (or perhaps what your audience best-responds to).

No comments:

Post a Comment