Monday, August 29, 2011

Only Relent A Little

I am working on a story for a writing contest. The contest has been around and, reading the the winners and runners-up of previous years, I find myself frustrated in trying to match that style of writing. I am still trying to do it, and it isn't completely unnatural, but it is not my default style.

I suspect that, if I wanted to, I could totally imitate it. It's mostly a matter of perception and willpower. Heck, it's a writing exercise. But, I just don't want to do that. If I imitated somebody else's style entirely, then it would be unnatural.

Sometimes, depending on what you are writing, and for whom, you may be forced to fit into a certain style. If there is no way around it, then bite your tongue and do your job. And if you absolutely cannot stand it, then don't make it be your job. (There is a reason I refuse to work as a journalist [though I will still do editing work for news publications because that's different than writing for them].)

If it is not an absolute requirement, then my advice is to only relent a little. There is no perfect writing style. Just because one kind has won a contest doesn't mean that your style wouldn't totally dominate it (or at least shake things up). I have made my peace by doing so, and however the results come in, I am happy that I stayed true to myself.

1 comment: