Sunday, June 5, 2011

Star-Crossed Perfection

I was out with my friend and we were talking/bickering. At one point, my friend says, "Jesus never bought me nothin'." As soon as I heard that, I was aware of a great idea. That would be such an amazing name for a country song.

When I thought about it, though, I realized it was impossible. The country music community would never accept such a song; it's damn near blasphemous. So I stood there in awe. This title could only be used for a country song, but country is the one musical genre that would never accept it. It is pure perfection that cannot exist in this universe.

It reminded me of imaginary numbers. They theoretically exist and math works with them, but there is no way of expressing them in our number system.

This is a star-crossed perfection. Everything works except for this one crucial component, which makes the whole thing impossible. And any modification to circumvent the problem would destroy the perfection. I call it star-crossed because of the description for Romeo & Juliet. It ends up being a story about how some things just can't work, no matter how hard you try.

If you have an idea for some great story, but you realize that it just can't work in its form, but that no other form will work, hen let it go. An idea doomed to fail is not worth the effort. And, as always, ignore me if I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment