Thursday, June 23, 2011

Don't Take The Easy Ones

I love puns and other wordplay. Sometimes I make some terrible puns (terrible as in they make people groan) and they are fun. But there some puns that need to take a rest.

I never need to hear about the guy who stabbed all those boxes of corn flakes (i.e. the cereal/serial killer). I never hear the word 'serial' said without somebody making a 'cereal' pun. It gets old.

This doesn't mean that the pun is bad; it's just tired. Everybody uses it and they do so because it's easy.

Never stop telling jokes, but sometimes, don't take the easy ones. Try for a joke that takes a little more energy to create and to understand. Try making a joke that really reaches for it. It may fall short of comedy gold, but you will definitely get an A for effort.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've ever heard about the guy stabbing a box of cornflakes.

    But if the cornflakes include raisins, then I support him.

    ReplyDelete