Thursday, January 6, 2011

I Get It!

It is no surprise that I love wordplay. I find it to be some of the funniest stuff out there. A good pun can make you laugh, no matter how bad a mood you're in. What I have discovered, though, is the greatest form of comedy ever: unrecognized wordplay.

Sometimes in normal conversation, the words people choose end up being funny. But people are often aware of it. They'll either say “pardon the pun” or “no pun intended”, thus sucking all of the fun out of it. And the rest of people really ham it up.

But every now and then, somebody says something hilarious and is completely unaware of it. I had a conversation with a friend who informed that there was “a wide berth of information on pregnancy.”

My only response to that was very loudly shouting, “I GET IT!” Then proceeding with the conversation as normal.

This is the funniest thing on earth to me. It breaks people from their train of thought, forces them to disengage, think about what they said, and realize what happened. I love it because I have basically told a pun, but I wasn't the one who said it, so I can't be blamed for it.

It is not every day that this opportunity presents itself, but it does happen pretty frequently. Keep your ears perked. You can totally catch somebody with an “I get it” by week's end. The look on somebody's face when they realize that you told a groaner, but it was actually them who told the groaner, is totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment