Monday, January 17, 2011

Creation Through Connection

Raw creation can be difficult.  Of all the endless possibilities of things to write about or subjects to consider, how do you choose one?  You get paralyzed with options, and end up staring at the blank page, never choosing anything.

The best way to create is to limit your options.  This is not a new thing for me to say (though I haven't specifically brought it up in a while), but I have a new way to help you do it.

Pick three random things.  If you have trouble doing it, ask somebody to do it for you.  Once you have your list, find a way to make a story involving them.  How you do it is up to you.  There is no wrong way.  Once an idea is sparked, follow through with it.

I know I am not the first person to give this advice, but if you haven't done it yet, then let this be the post to push you into it.  I have created things I know I would never have thought of, were it not for my friends giving me a list to build from.

In fact, if you need some ideas of your own, I will give you the most recent one I used:
A red wagon.
A rootbeer-flavored lollipop.
A 5-year-old brat.


Have at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment