Monday, January 3, 2011

Can You Laugh At Bad Grammar?

Plenty of people did not pay attention in English/Language Arts classes.  Most people are not thoroughly fluent in the rules of standard written English.  Everybody, no matter how knowledgeable or careful they are, will misspell words, use a rule incorrectly, or otherwise have bad grammar.

A lot of people I know laugh at bad grammar.  I don't.  It's not funny to me.  It's commonplace.  Typing "rabbi" instead of "rabbit" may make for a humorous image, but the typo on its own is not enough to make me laugh out loud.

Now, I will say that I used to laugh at it.  I used to think it was some of the funniest stuff around.  But having spent as much time on the internet as I have, not to mention as much time editing other people's work as I have, it just isn't exciting anymore.  Either I've moved beyond it or I've gone numb to it.  Whichever it may be, I know that I'm not going back, and I'm ok with that.  There are funnier things out there than typos.

No comments:

Post a Comment