Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Style Preference

I am pretty proud of the fact that I have identified my writing style and am a fan of my own work.  However, I have found an interesting coincidence.  The style I enjoy writing is the same style I enjoy reading.  Anything that reminds me of my own style is much more compelling to me.  Anything noticeably different from my style is repelling.

This isn't for any other reason but personal preference.  I care about the action of a story and its characters.  Scenery, excessive internal thoughts, or anything else that halts the action frustrates me.  I want to know what happens next.  There is something to be said for building suspension, but there is also a line between that and waxing tangential.

I doubt it's a steadfast rule that writers will prefer a style very much like their own and not care for others.  But if you write stories that you would enjoy reading, it seems pretty inevitable.

Whatever you end up preferring, remember to go out and read works of that style.  It will inspire you, not to mention being an enjoyable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment