Monday, June 14, 2010

A Blessing And A Curse

Every positive comes with a negative.  Every blessing is a curse.  Imagine being able to hear your favorite song of all time playing in your head constantly.  You can no longer enjoy silence.  Suppose you qualify your wish so that you can turn it on and off whenever you like.  You will lose the special feeling of having it randomly play and feeling special.  This does not mean that it wouldn't be awesome to have your favorite song of all time play anywhere you want on command.  All it means is that it comes at a price

My friends often struggle to come up with ideas for things to write about.  I do not.  I have ideas popping into my head all the time.  I see actions that don't take place, hear the thoughts of characters, consider scenarios that never happened on worlds that don't exist.  If I ever find myself stuck, it is not because I am out of ideas; I am simply figuring out how to turn my ideas into writing.

If my friends truly feel a writer's block, I will sympathize and empathize, but I will never understand it.  I don't pity them, though.  They simply are what they are.  They also are not pitiful because their problem is so easily overcome.  It is just a matter of willpower and relaxation.  I do not pity myself for having ideas coming to me, either.  Considering how awful writer's block can be, I consider myself blessed.  But every blessing is a curse.

Sometimes it's annoying.  It gets hard to focus on reality when surreality keeps seeping in.  The amazing worlds and fascinating people are wonderful and wondrous.  The disturbing people in disgusting worlds are horrible and horrifying.  And there's no way to keep them out.  No matter how much I try, they keep coming back.

Again, pity is not involved here, not for either person.  It is simply a fact of life.  The things you pine for may be the same things that others lament having.  The things that frustrate you may be another person's dream.  But there's no way to exchange who you are with somebody else, so learn to deal with what you have, accept it, and make the most of it.

1 comment:

  1. How ironic you are. You claimed to hate sarcasm yet you claimed that every blessing is a curse. That's bullshit.

    True blessings are from curses.

    ReplyDelete