Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Value Of Tools

Whatever interest you have, there will be tools necessary to do it. Whether it be woodworking, painting, cooking, or writing, there are a wide array of tools available, ranging from very basic, to very luxurious. There will be student models and professional models, which will have great differences in qualities.

There are three very important lessons to learn when it comes to tools:
1. Professional quality tools allow you to do your craft more easily and with higher quality.
2. Professional quality tools are not needed to do professional quality work.
3. Professional quality tools will not make up for amateur ability.

I am a writer, both in digital and analog formats, so my tools include pen/pencil, paper/notebooks, word processors, and keyboards/input devices (so don't think that because you write on your computer, you are not using tools). I may not consider myself a connoisseur of these things, but I have tested out a number of them.

I have found my favorite pens, and I have found my favorite notebooks. For me, the best pen is one that writes in a thick, solid line, doesn't thin out as I write, and doesn't spill so much ink out that it smears or bleeds through. For notebooks, I need one that is small enough to fit in my pocket without bugging me, but still be able to open wide enough to comfortably write on, and be durable enough to be jostled around constantly and not fall apart. For full size notebooks, it needs to also be very durable, and it needs to be able to open up flat so I can leave it open and write from edge to edge on the page. I've tried a lot of pens and a lot of notebooks out over the years, and when I'm using my favorites, it is an absolute joy to write.

I really hate cheap Bic pens. Nothing against the Bic company specifically, but they are kind of iconic as the cheap ball point pen that doesn't really write well. Similarly, Mead spiral notebooks are simply not meant to last. I have never been able to fill up a full spiral notebook because they wear out and fall apart well before I ever get that far. However, I have used many spiral notebooks and cheap pens in my life. I don't need my high quality tools to write down my words. The most basic tools work fine so long as they work at all.

Most importantly, I'm a good writer. The quality of the lines used to make my letters does not affect the quality of the words they make. If I am a terrible writer, there is no amount of equipment that would make me a better writer. On a similar note, my handwriting is atrocious. It is legible, which makes it better than many, but nobody looks at it and says "that's really nice-looking." No matter how fine of writing implements I use, they will not make my handwriting pretty.

Very often, I see beginners, who are looking up to the professionals in any given field, and the first thing they ask is which equipment they should buy. Usually, they simply want to use whatever their idol uses. But in reality, they need to develop their skills. Use basic tools, both for being cheaper and usually simpler, and learn the basics with them. When you reach the point that you are aware of the limitations of your basic tools, you will be ready to step up.

Simply put: Tools do matter, but you matter more.

No comments:

Post a Comment