Friday, May 17, 2013

Let Life Distract You

I almost forgot to write my post tonight because I was so distracted by loving life. It happened to pop in my head, which is why it is getting done, but if I had missed it, that would have been ok. 

If I miss a night, I'll make it up, so it all evens out. But more importantly, it meant that I was doing something. I was having experiences. I was thinking thoughts. I was gaining new stories to write about. 

Let life distract you. Especially if you feel stuck. When you have a writer's block, distractions and time will erode it away. 

That said, writers are stereotypically aloof or easily distracted, and sometimes you do need that bit of discipline to keep yourself moving forward.

Not all distractions are equal. Let useful distractions happen without guilt, and avoid the unproductive ones as best as you can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment