Friday, May 3, 2013

Increasing Piles Of Digital Files

I still believe in using paper and electronic media in writing. Paper allows me to feel my nascent ideas and develop them organically. Digital allows me to write down my ideas as quickly as they come to my mind.

Both of them have detractions, too. Aside from the fact that paper and computer can't do what the other succeeds at, they also have frustrations.

Paper takes up space. The more you write down, the more physical space you need to store it all. This problem, though, is not exclusive to paper.

Digital files take up space. Granted, in these days, you don't usually have to worry about running out of space, but you do need to be organized. If you use documents the way you use scraps of paper, writing down notes or ideas as they come to you, and saving them for another time, you will be overrun with them.

My computer and my phone are being filled with increasing piles of digital files. When it gets to be too much, I consolidate the similar ideas and give each collection a home. I can breathe deeper and sleep better once the clutter is taken care of, and this is just as true of electronic formats as it is for physical ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment