Thursday, May 31, 2012

Chastise Adults

I find it incredibly odd that, if I saw a 12-year-old doing something that is socially unacceptable, I could chastise that child, but if I saw a 22-year-old doing the same thing, it is no longer a viable option. Somehow, it feels like, if a person can make it into legal adulthood without correcting their flaws, those flaws become acceptable and immutable.

Why is it that a child who does wrong "hasn't learned", but an adult who does wrong "is an asshole"? I find it a wrong belief and I am making it a point to chastise anybody, including adults.

One curious thing, though, is that when it comes to writing, the opposite tends to be true. We treat kids like they are doing just fine and any effort they put out is great, but when talking to adults, we become fearless in gutting and shredding their work. I think this is wrong, too. People should be treated like people. We should all live by the same standards and expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment