Monday, March 19, 2012

Crapchute

I wanted to say that something was very unpredictable and random, and I was not sure how to spell the word. Was it crapshoot or crapchute?

I wasn't sure which one to use, and they both sounded disgusting. A crapchute sounds like a slide that crap falls down. And a crapshoot sounds like putting out dung at a target range. I mean, really, who shoots crap?

Then I realized that nobody shoots crap, but gamblers shoot craps (as in the dice game). Then I thought about how unpredictable and random the results of a dicethrow are. Suddenly, the description perfectly fit.

So, there is a huge difference between a crapshoot and a crapchute (for example, the latter one is not even a real word, but sounds like a perfectly vile euphemism for the colon). I was able to deduce which one I wanted logically, but if you can't do that, then don't be afraid to look it up. And if you can logically figure things like that out, you should still look it up. It takes like ten seconds to do and can prevent you from seriously looking stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment