Monday, December 13, 2010

Excepting Acceptions

As frustrating as it is when people use a word incorrectly, it can also be fun to play around with words.  'Accept' and 'except' are a great example.  To accept something means to take something in or approve of it.  To except something means the opposite.  In short, exceptions are unacceptable.

In one of my comics with Kelly, there is a marker board in the background of the gym where our characters work.  Although I wrote the script, the marker board was all his to write or draw whatever he wanted.  In this comic here, the board says, "We don't except chocolate as payment."

When I first read it, I wanted to correct Kelly for using the wrong word.  Then I changed my mind.  I thought it was the funniest damn thing.  We run a gym, a place where people come to get in shape, yet we do not refuse chocolate as a form of payment (which is a ridiculous enough concept by itself).  As far as I was concerned, anybody who realized that there is a supposed misspelling ought to enjoy the silliness of taking it at face value.

Do a little word play of your own.  What other similar-sounding words are there?  I often see people misspell rapper as raper.  What can you do with that?  If you wanted something more pleasant, you could go for shoot/chute or colonel/kernel.

There's a lot of humor to make from misunderstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment