Sunday, September 19, 2010

Not Bad, Just Different

We humans have certain innate instincts.  We really like to label things.  We also need to describe things as good or bad.  This isn't the worst thing in the world; it's gotten us to where we are today.  However, it does raise certain complications.

On more than one occasion, I will have a friend show me a poem or a story and to ask me to read it.  The work in question is completely different from what I had expected, and I am not entirely sure what to say.  My friend assumes that I think it is bad.  In truth, it is by no means bad; it is simply different, which is exactly what I tell my friend.  Of course, most people do not readily believe that something can be neither good nor bad, so the argument continues back and forth for some time.

The fact of the matter, though, is that  it's ok to be different.  It's even encouraged.  Understand that whether something is different or not has no bearing on its quality, and proceed from there (just remember that something can be both different and a piece of crap if you're a bad writer).

No comments:

Post a Comment