Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Finding The Overlooked

I was talking with a friend the other day. She was remarking how there seemed to be a Facebook group for everything. She had the idea to find a noun or noun phrase that didn't have a group. I decided to join her, though we ended up taking very different paths.

My friend tried to think of things that were so crazy and out of the norm that nobody else would have thought of it. It didn't work. Nothing she tried, no matter how unusual or disturbing, didn't already exist as a Facebook page.

I tried the opposite approach. I tried to think of things that are so common that everybody would overlook them, thus not thinking to make a page for them, either. I also failed. It seems like anything that exists just so happens to be somebody's passion in life and they love it enough to make a fan page for it.

However, despite our collective failures, I still think it is a good exercise. Try to think about things that you never think about. Make a list.

Write five things so thoroughly bizarre that they would never cross your mind unless you were specifically trying to think of it. Then write five things that you come across every single day, but never pay attention to.

My List:
1. Juggling rhinoceros
2. Cowboy on stilts on a unicycle
3. Parachute pants
4. Maracas
5. Stamens

1. Floors
2. Zippers
3. Trees
4. Bananas
5. Pens

No comments:

Post a Comment