Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Elitist Words

We've got a whole lot of words in our language.  English actually has more words in it than any other language.  I saw recently that we have over 554,000 words (which is five times more than Shakespeare had to work with).  But how many do we use?  The average person probably uses fewer than 30,000 different words in their lifetime, less than a tenth of the total number of words.  This makes me wonder what we do with the other hundreds of thousands of words out there.

Granted, a number of them will end up being industry terms of some sort.  The medical field alone will have tons of words that nobody else would ever use.  The same could be said for engineering, computer programming, and deep sea diving.  But there are more words than that.

How often do we use "pique" or "wont" or "obfuscate" or "adroit"?  Most people would say never.  Most people wouldn't think those are real words.  I don't blame them, though.  They aren't needed.

English is a language of synonyms.  "Obfuscate" certainly has its own particular meaning, but one could easily replace it with "hide", "cover up", or "shroud".  "Obfuscate" is an elitist word.  It is used to sound smart or classy, but all it does is confuse people by using a word people are largely unfamiliar with, which is a sign of poor communication.

I will say, though, that I like "obfuscate".  I like a lot of elitist words.  They make me happy.  They not only express the meaning that I want, but they also say it with just the right sound and rhythm.  Sure, there are plenty of alternatives to those words, ones that everybody would already know, but sometimes they just don't fit.  I also try to meet people half way by using words that sound like what they mean, as well as using them in a context that is understandable without needing to look it up.  I also use them sparingly and I only use them when they sound best, not to sound smart.

As a writer, your job is to communicate.  Being understood is a top priority.  So using words that people understand will be imperative.  Using big words simply to sound educated has the opposite effect.  However, sometimes a big word is the perfect word in a situation.  If that's the case, don't be afraid to use it.  If people really want to understand it, there are enough ways to look up any word in an instant.  If you are willing to meet your readers halfway, they should be willing to meet you halfway, too.

2 comments:

  1. If we're worried about big words obfuscating our meaning, so that we use small words, I think ultimately we are doing the language, and its speakers, a disservice.

    Failure to circulate big words in speech will end up in them not becoming known. Which will result in a smaller overall vocabulary, which will result in an even smaller vocabulary in everyday use.

    A few generations from now, simpler words will become elitist. We will shun them. Our vocabulary will become even smaller, again...

    Maybe, and maybe not. Actually I really don't know, because I suspect we'd all need a basic level of communication.

    Hide and obfuscate mean two different things to me, though. To hide means to make unseen. To obfuscate seems to mean "to make something confusing, unclear" with or without a malicious intent. But I'm used to seeing it in a computer science setting.

    If you use big words, just be prepared to break them down or give their definition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can we do language a disservice? Language is not our master; it serves us. And if we are communicating effectively, it is serving us well, regardless of how many elitist words we know.

    As for the loss of words, I say good riddance. We already have plenty that we never use. And heck what's the point of having a word if nobody uses? By throwing out the old ones, it leaves room for the new ones to come in.

    I agree. Language simplifies over time. Unless we have a new Victorian era, language will continue to become streamlined. Thank god for progress. If you want to go back to the horridly ugly version of English used 100-300 years ago, by all means go back to that time and stay there.

    I do always explain big words I use. But there comes a point where I question why I use them in the first place.

    ReplyDelete