Friday, May 29, 2009

Planning While Doing

When I come up with ideas for stories, I use one of two methods. My main method is to plan out the whole story in my head. I see the beginning, the transitions, and the end. I figure out where people are, what they're doing, and how everything works together.

It's a good method, but it comes with its drawbacks. For one thing, it takes a great deal of mental energy. If you are doing the whole thing in your head without taking notes, you run the risk of forgetting things. Sometimes a small detail could be crucial and losing it destroys your whole structure. The other problem is that it can be disheartening. Staring at a blank computer screen or an empty sheet of paper for hours on end makes you feel like you haven't done anything, even though you may have done a lot of work in your head.

Sometimes, though, I take the opposite approach. I will start writing the opening scene (it can be a scene anywhere within the story, though) and write as far as I can. Now I need to figure out where I am and where I'm going. I need to understand how I can make something good from my little seed of a scene.

Both of these methods still have a lot of similarity to them. They both require building and crafting. Both methods are like solving a puzzle (how do the pieces I have fit together). The only difference between the two is that in the first method, I am pulling an idea out of the air, and in the second method I am somewhat writing myself into a corner and then writing my way out.

As always, use whatever works for you. Any method that gets you writing, or at least thinking about writing, is a good method. But, just because you have one method that works doesn't mean you shouldn't try another. You may be surprised what outcomes other methods may have on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment