Saturday, May 16, 2009

Disappearing

Every now and then, I think it is very important to disappear. It is becoming increasingly difficult to be completely disconnected, what with the cell phones, emails, IMs, and countless other communication devices. But maybe that's all the more reason that we need to give it all up on occasion.

Try turning off your phone, leaving it in your room. Don't sign on or log in to anything. In fact, try leaving your computer off, too. Write longhand on a sheet of paper. Leave your home and write outside. Go to a park and breathe in the fresh air. Enjoy the sights and the sounds.

I admit that I am pretty terrible at taking my own advice in this case. I like to type on my computer in my room and completely connected to people so hey know I'm available. I can even get writing done under these circumstances. But still, it is a noticeable distraction. And during those times when I actually do disappear for a while, I'm amazed at how much more work I can get done, and hohw good it feels.

Think of it as a vacation. Take a break from your normal routine and get away from it all, even if for just a few hours. If you like it, plan another one. If you don't, it cost you nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment