Saturday, May 9, 2009

Chaining

I saw a game show today called Chain Reaction. It's a relatively simple game, but just the kind of mental exercise I love. In short, you take the second word of a two-word phrase and use it as the first word of another two-word phrase. For example, Tip-Top, Top-Hat, Hat-Trick, Trick-Knee, Knee-Jerk, and so forth. The game itself has other parts to it, but that is the main point, to make these chains.

I writing a letter today, I also realized that I write in the exact same manner. I start writing a paragraph with a particular subject. In talking, the subject will slowly sift to another one. By the time the paragraph has moved elsewhere, I start on the next paragraph.

The nice thing about this method is that it adds to the natural feeling of a piece. When people say that something "just flows", this is one of the things they're talking about. You could write an essay that has no formal structure, no thesis, no support, and no conclusion. If your writing transitions conversationally from one subject to another, it will be very smooth and flowy, even if it is a mindless ramble.

Personally, I try not to ramble, at least not too much. That is where the true art of writing is: crafting a work to go where you want it to, but making a natural connection for every step of the way. It's like Taking the words "tip" and "jerk" and trying to find the chains that connect them. This is by no means easy, but when you do find the right path, it is a sight to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment