Sunday, May 17, 2009

Getting Work Done

For me, the hardest thing about writing (and everything else in life) is getting started. The task of writing is daunting. It's a complicated process that is physically and mentally draining. I need to set aside time for it, be in the mood or get myself in the mood to write, and actually be able to create anything worthwhile.

Frankly, that's all crap. That's just a fear mechanism in action. The fact of the matter is that once I start writing, I'm amazed at how much I actually get done.

Take my comics for example. I have two parts in the creative process. The first part is writing scripts. This means I have to come up with an idea, figure out which characters are in it, where they are, what they're saying, what they're doing, and how everything is broken up into 4 panels. The second step is to do storyboarding. This is the final draft, where I write out a very rough sketch of the panels (when I write scripts, it's either in words or in my head) and I write out the words exactly as I want them (scripts occasionally need major revision).

Writing scripts definitely seems like a daunting task. They require a lot of work. However, when I sit down and actually put forth any kind of effort, I can get 4 scripts done in a matter of a few hours. If I did this every night before bed, that would be 28 a week. Storyboarding also can be scary because it is the final draft. I need to make sure my words are perfect and that the panels don't use the same picture for all 4 panels. But that's not too bad either. The words are easy when you say them out loud and the pictures aren't a huge deal because I trust my partner to work his magic on them (that's why he draws).When I sit down and storyboard, I can get into a groove and get 10 done in a couple of hours. It really isn't that difficult.

If you find yourself being overwhelmed by the idea of writing, tell yourself that it's no big deal. If you can, find a friend to kick you in the butt and make you actually start working (deadlines are good like that, too). Once you get your hands moving and your mind thinking, you'll find it isn't as difficult as you thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment