Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Good Liar

There are at least two things I know about myself: I am a writer and I am a liar. I also am pretty sure that the two are intrinsically linked. I don't know if I'm a writer because I lie or if I'm a liar because I write, but I do know that they use the same skills.

Create a world that is like ours, but not the same. Make it as realistic as possible, even if it is larger than life. Actions and reactions should be understandable and explained well. People should never question logic or motives. Small, minor, even inconsequential details add to the vividness and make it seem like it takes place through a person's eyes. All of those skills apply to writing and lying.

If you enjoy writing, I won't say that you should go out and start lying, but I will say that you might have a natural penchant for writing. Similarly, if you are a compulsive liar, I would suggest putting your skills to constructive use by lying on paper instead of doing it in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment