Saturday, April 25, 2009

Tuesday's Trash May Be Monday's Magic

We come up with a lot of ideas. Believe it or not, they happen quite often. The problem is that most of them suck. Whenever I get an interesting idea, I write it down. I usually put it away right afterward. Occasionally, I actually think to look at my list and see what I've written. Sometimes I have an idea that is interesting, but I have no idea how to approach it. Sometimes what I wrote down seems so boring or so stupid that I can't imagine why I decided to record it.

However, I rarely have the heart to throw out my ideas. So I hold on to them, time goes by, and another day I look at the same thought and it's genius. It makes perfect sense to me, I know just what I want to write with it and how I'm going to write it.

Although I advocate throwing out drafts that just won't work, that doesn't mean the ideas themselves have to go. It doesn't cost anything to keep your ideas, so let them stick around. One day, they may be magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment