Saturday, April 11, 2009

Stimulation

In a previous post, I had mentioned that one cure for writer's block is to do something incredibly boring. This allows you to occupy your mind with creative thought. I stand by this advice. However, I feel the need to add on to it.

Something that I do very rarely, but need to do more, is go to concerts. Though my parents are both classical musicians, I have never much cared for going to classical music concerts. They usually put me to sleep (literally). However, I have found a new interest in such performances. The last few times that I've gone, ideas came to me. I had to reach for a pen or pencil and write down my ideas on the blank space on my program.

Now, it is possible that this is simply an example of ideas coming from being bored, or from the fact that I'm sitting in one place unable to move or speak, which made my mind start thinking. However, I think it is something else. Cultural activities like, classical music concerts, museums, and art galleries stimulate the mind. Where being isolated may force the mind to come up with ideas just to stave off boredom, cultural activities stimulate the mind. They compel you to think of new things, ideas that you may not have thought of otherwise.

Finding things that stimulate your mind is incredibly important. They keep you alive, keep you interested, keep you writing. And ultimately, that's what your activities should be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment