Friday, October 21, 2011

You Need New Arguments

I like arguing. I'm good at it. The process of arguing comes so naturally to me that I will argue both sides of a debate with myself for fun. Actually, it's because I can't stand letting one side win an argument if I know there's holes in it.

Arguing is all well and good, but if the subject never changes, the arguments never change either, and the whole thing gets stale. I understand that writers generally have an all-encompassing central idea that infiltrates their stories, but you have to try to break beyond that.

Talk to other people. What are their thoughts? What are their beliefs? Don't be afraid to mix it up, either. Talk to somebody who really bothers you. Let them get under your skin. Get into a real argument. Seriously debate them.

You may not win (and that's fine). No matter what, though, you have got some new arguments to deal with. And, if you want to seriously get out of your comfort zone, try playing the believing game and finding how this totally wrong person was kinda right.

If you can keep your arguments fresh, you will keep your writing fresh. And that is something that is always worth doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment