Thursday, July 30, 2009

Books About Writing

I've read a handful of books on writing, and I have to say that I largely hate them. They're all either naive, outdated, vague, or completely useless. Whenever I read them, I got absolutely nothing out of them. I wondered why any writer would write these things aside from stroking their own ego.

It was a long time before I realized that these books didn't help me because they aren't intended to help me. Specifically, they aren't intended to help me. I'm not a complete beginner. I have been writing for years and have taken several classes on the subject. I know how to write, how to practice, how to critique. I know how to make myself do what I need to do. These books are for people who haven't gotten to where I am.

Books on writing are great for people who haven't written yet. They tend to create a place of security, where it's safe and comfortable and ok to experiment. It allows you to go out on a limb with the knowledge that there is a big fluffy mattress underneath in case you fall. Absolute beginners don't need specifics as much. They need more encouragement than anything else, to go out and try.

Once you've gotten past that point, you need more. That's where these books fail. Although I have not made an extensive search, I have not found any books with particularly great writing advice. There's good principles, but few techniques. As frustrating as that is, though, it makes sense. I think that much of a person's writing style can only be self-developed. Now, self-developed does not mean that there are no outside sources. People you talk with, stories you read, criticism you get, and countless other things will influence your writing style. However, it will ultimately be you who figures out what you like and what feels right.

Ultimately, I think that books will only be useful up until you go out on your first limb. After that, look for other influences to help you help yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment