Sunday, March 8, 2009

Pick A Style

I was told by one of my writing professors that eventually I would have to pick a form of writing to stick with (e.g. poetry, essay, short story, novel). I bit my tongue, but I seriously wanted to shout out, "screw you." I wrote just about every form of writing. I also believe that the different forms of writing were all just the same thing, that the same principles applied to all of them, with only minor variations specific to a particular form.

I have since come to realize that my teacher was sort of right. I didn't have to choose a form to write in, but I did find that I naturally preferred one over all of the others. I still believe that all writing is based on the same handful of principles, but I have realized that the differences between the forms create niches, one of which a writer will fit perfectly into.

Stories exist in my mind. They play as movies right behind my eyes. My writing, therefore, is describing what is happening. I am not exploring a world, but following the camera. This leads to a very short, action-oriented style. I think it is exciting and interesting, but I do recognize that I do not describe my worlds, which takes away from the experience. That is what makes writing comics perfect for me. The writing within the comic is very minimal, only speech and some captions. The rest of the story, building the world, and showing the action, all happens with the pictures. I don't have to spend a thousand words saying what a panel can. It's efficient and effective.

I actually enjoy writing essays for the same reasons. I don't have to build a world or scenes or even tell action. My essays simply bring up an idea, then logically progress from there. No fuss, no muss, just sweet, sweet essay.

To any new writers out there, I would say, don't pick a style, but do let a style reveal itself to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment