Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Learning from Bad Examples

I learn from the things I read. I generally read things I like. It makes sense to me. Why would I read things that I don't like? Why would I stay up to date on things I don't like? All it would do is continuously angry up my blood.

And yet, every now and then, I try reading something new and give it a fair shot. Sometimes, what I read is just awful. But rather than simply saying it sucks and never reading it again, I pay attention. I try to figure out why I don't laugh, or simply don't care. Then I never read it again.

There are many lessons to be learned from bad examples: movement is important, dialogue should sound natural, don't dillydally, be efficient, etc. But there is one very important thing that everybody should take away from bad examples. If a piece of writing that is so terrible can make its way from the author all the way to you, then your work can get much furtherbecause yours doesn't suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment